Thursday 29 October 2009

Week 6-7





Week 6 was something of a welcome respite - a week of no tutorials and light on lectures and stuff. It provided a welcome opportunity for some catching up, finishing off, reading and perhaps a spot of relaxing.
This seems to be something of a recurring theme with the work I do but, once again I gained a lot of satisfaction from gathering together and refining my work, resulting in a sense of satisfaction - a sort of 'Ooh, look what I've done!' feeling, even though it was work which was already complete.
Again, it felt good to have done plenty of reading and feeling that I was properly on top of things again.

Friday was our Kenmore site visit, preceded by a visit to the Crannog centre which was, actually dead interesting. I always love seeing someone knowledgeable and enthusiastic about a slightly niche subject as our guide was with his Iron age history.

The site visit itself was an opportunity to get fully immersed in the site itself and gather and record information in whatever fashion was deemed appropriate - for me this was mainly photographs and sketches of the site and, perhaps more importantly the surroundings in terms of the natural and built environment. The overwhelming feeling I came back with was "Isn't Scotland bloody lovely?"







Week 7 was back to business as usual. It's felt really good because, for me this is a project I can really get totally involved with from the very offset - Analysis of Precedent was an involved project but it took me quite a while to get 'into' it - it wasn't until the final week of the project that I was fully in the groove. I think that the momentum (and understanding of what is going on) has carried over into this project so I'm good to go from the very beginning.
I'm already enjoying the many different aspects of this project - there's analytical stuff going on, research into history and design precedents, and creativity - at this stage we're writing back stories for the inhabitants of the house to be built, later comes the designing of the house itself.

I love architecture...

No comments:

Post a Comment